At least 76 pupils of Prince of Peace Junior High School (JHS) were left red-faced after they were turned away from the 2018 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) after their proprietor failed to register them despite collecting registration fees.
One hundred and fifty-one pupils paid 500 cedis each to a proprietor who collected 75,000 cedis. But the school head in his late 30’s only registered 75 final-year students and allegedly pocketed 38,000 cedis. His name has yet to be confirmed.
The 76 unregistered pupils were directed to check their index numbers last Sunday at the examination center where the 2018 BECE was expected to take place Monday.
But they were unable to find the names or the proprietor who had promised to meet them there.
Their worst fears were confirmed as they looked on while several students from other schools walked in to start their English exams Monday.
“We don’t know what to tell our parents,” a disappointed student said as he contemplated his family’s reaction.
The students proceeded to the West Africa Examination Council office for an intervention but were told nothing could be done. They were told the same when they went to the Municipal Education office.
Of the 75 registered by the proprietor, only one of them is a pupil at the Prince of Peace Junior High School (JHS). The accused took money from other pupils and registered them in the name of the school.
Joy News’ Nothern regional correspondent Hashmin Mohammed reported that the proprietor has been arrested and has submitted a statement at a district police office in Tamale, the Northern regional capital.
According to Mohammed, the proprietor’s failure to register final-year students is not new. Last year, several students suffered the same fate. His private school is still allowed to operate despite reports of fraud.
He is the only teacher in his school and has no management board.